Friday, December 31, 2010

Freaky Fartlek Friday: Week 1

Okay this post has nothing to do with speed training which is what a fartlek is all about but I just like that word so I incorporated it. Perhaps one day I will be doing some fartleks and at that time I will explain the origin of the word in greater detail for those of you who do not know or you could just google it right now and be done with it!

Anyway, this post does have to do with training. On Fridays I will let you all in on how my training went for the week. What I'm doing...what's working or not...and how I'm feeling.

Alrighty then, my workouts haven't been as good or consistent this week because I've been on vacation and I ate ENTIRELY too much over last weekend which was Christmas. I did complete my runs on Monday (2.87mi), Wednesday (2.85mi), and today (3.02mi... I jogged for 25 minutes straight).... and I threw in an extra one on Sunday (1.8mi) because I got a heart rate monitor for Christmas and I wanted to try it out. Also, it was snowing Sunday and it was a BEAUTIFUL run! I rode my bike yesterday for 39 minutes and went 4 miles. I know that seems slow but there is a killer hill on my bike route and it slows me down considerably, but it is great for strengthening my legs. It was COLD...49 degrees. I think I'll stay off the bike unless it is 55 or above and next week it looks like it will be! I love riding my bike almost as much as running and it gives my joints a break :).

As for my strength training and yoga....I missed strength training on Tuesday but did get my Thursday workout done. My strength training looks like this:

Arnold press (shoulders/arms)
hammer press (arms)
overhead tricep extension (arms)
bent over rows (back)
push ups (back/shoulders/arms/chest)
squats (legs)
lunges (legs)
ab crunches (core)
planks (core)

I do circuit training. 3 sets/10 reps each and right now I'm doing drop sets using 10, 8, and 6 lb weights. I do all of this in the small confines of my bedroom. It doesn't take much room to strength train...so don't try to use that as an excuse not to do it! I'm amazed how much difference it is making in shaping and tightening my body. When I first started I couldn't do 5 push ups and now I'm doing 30. My biceps are budding and I have an annoying habit of flexing it and kissing it :)...I'm just so amazed that I made that! When I first started walking/running everything flopped around but now things are tighter and I feel more efficient.

The only day I did yoga was today and it felt wonderful after that long run. Hoping to get back on my regular schedule next week....eating and exercising. I may go for another bike ride tomorrow if it isn't raining....a New Year's bike ride....I hope that is what I'll be doing for the rest of the year:).

Until Monday, hope you all have a Happy New Year's and great weekend!

Remember: Do or do not. There is no try....Yoda from ESB

No comments:

Post a Comment